The 'A.E.W.S.' brand was introduced in NZ in 1942 and lasted until around 1945.
'A.E.W.S.' branded equipment was manufactured by various companies, the distributor is unknown. Currently there are 2 documented models.
A snippet from the Massey University archive regarding the AEWS:
The Army Education Welfare Service was established in 1942 to help servicemen integrate back into civilian life. Apart from library services, it ran training courses in conjunction with a number of training institutions in New Zealand – one of these being Massey Agricultural College. With the aid of these training institutions the Army Education Welfare Service regularly published booklets and handbooks on a wide range of topics – from agriculture to trades and general topics. In addition to the booklets listed in this inventory, the Massey University Library holds a number of these Army Education Welfare Service publications.