COURTENAY

'Known For Tone'

The 'Courtenay' brandname was introduced in 1930 and lasted until 1956.

Courtenay was manufactured by Radio Corporation of New Zealand Ltd, they were distributed by Turnbull & Jones Ltd . Currently there are 48 documented models.

The first Courtenay receiver
The first ever Courtenay receiver

Originally 'Courtenay' was simply the name of the first model: a 3-valve receiver built by William Marks at his small radio workshop in Cornhill St in 1930.  This set was sold (and distributed) by Stewart Hardware from their premises in Courtenay Place.  Within a year there were multiple models using the familiar numbered model codes that would remain with the brand until it was retired in 1956.

Courtenay Radio Ltd - company formed in 1933
Formation of Courtenay Radio Ltd
Evening Post, 17 June 1933, Page 16

When Stewart Hardware closed its doors in around 1933 a new company was formed to handle distribution of the Courtenay brand.  Around this time W. Marks Ltd also changed their name to Radio Corporation of New Zealand.

In around 1935 Courtenay was taken over by Turnbull & Jones who would manage it for some 22 years, marketing a huge number of different models in that time.  These models were manufactured by Radio Corp NZ and as such they generally used the same chassis as was used in RCNZ's house brand, Columbus (and for a couple of years between 1933 and 1937 similar or the same as Pacific, CQ, Stella models of any given year).  Typically from 1937 onwards the only differences between brands was the dial and the cabinet.

48 Documented Courtenay Models