The Neeco brandname was introduced by The National Electrical and Engineering Co. Ltd in 1918 as a house brand name for their products (mainly ranges and grills, but also jugs, toasters and other appliances). Over time, this became the name by which the company was known - a company that had been formed in 1908 and which remained in business until they were taken over by Cable Price in 1966.
|Christchurch Sun, 13 August 1918|
Then in mid-1940, a new line of products was announced - NEECO Radios. This is the earliest advert found on that announcement:
|Evening Post, 21 May 1940|
Newspaper advertising was somewhat sparse, but Sedley Wells in Christchurch actively advertised NEECO radios throughout 1940/41 alongside Radiola and Cromwell, While Electric and Plumbing Supplies in Dunedin actively advertised NEECO sets through 1941/42.
|Sedley Wells Press Advert Throughout 1940|
|Evening Star, 21 August 1942|
Some of these later adverts mention that radio manufacturing was now being curtailed due to the war effort, and by 1943 this advert was being run:
|Evening Post, 7 May 1943|
Manufacturing resumed after the war in late 1945.